Monday, January 24, 2011

Hurry up and wait

...then hurry up and wait some more, then while you are at it, hurry up and wait some MORE!

Yesterday, we made the decision to drive on down to Little Rock and spend the night. Alex had been informed by his Liasion that it was likely that his swearing in would occur early in the morning (earlier than we had previously been told). There was some concern about potential foul weather and that combined with the thought of having to leave at 3 or 4 in the morning in order to make sure we were on time pretty much sealed the deal.

Left around 8:30 pm and pulled into the hotel 3 hours later. Checked in and collapsed. Alex had asked me to meet him in the lobby at 4:30 this morning to see him before he was bussed to the MEPS Unit. Like I'm gonna tell him no!!! He left at 5 and I went back to my room to sleep for about one more hour.

We made it to the Unit by 8 am, and were lucky enough to get to see him off and on while he was working with the staff.

THEN, it all came to a standstill. Part of his paperwork that confirmed his entry as an E-3 instead of an E-2 had not been submitted by the recruiter and for some reason it became like pulling teeth to get anyone to actually print out the paperwork, put it in the fax machine, and hit send. Back and forth with repeatedly being told to check back in 10 minutes.

Around 11, they said that he was going to be held over until Tuesday. During this time, I had been on the phone with the Recruiter trying to get some sort of information/explanation.

Hurry up and wait still some more. swearing in until Tuesday. So, here is where it gets even more complicated... My Dad is with us--he does not have tonight's insulin with him. Alex's Dad and Stepmother need to be back to work on Tuesday, and Chris and Wes really need to be back in school, not to mention that as it is now well after noon, we have not had lunch yet, I'm running on about 3 hours of actual sleep since Saturday night and if we should decide to go ahead and leave after lunch (insert gallons of Mommy tears at the thought of missing my baby's big moment) and in a perfect world actually drive straight through without stopping, it will be a 10+ hour drive into the wee wee wee hours and I don't think I can do it.

So, here we are again tonight. My Dad drove back with Alex's Dad and SM, Jim will return early in the morning and we will do this over. At least now we know that it is confirmed what he will be going in as. The bad thing is that the horrific, gut wrenching "my baby is leaving" agony is being drawn out. He is holding up pretty well, but it has been a very emotional, stressful day. The bright side is I get some more time with my oldest before he embarks on his life (insert more Mommy tears).

Tonight, in an effort to make the trip a more educational experience (and with the approval of the Principal) we will be strolling the Riverwalk in Little Rock and making a photo journal of various historical markers including the Clinton Museum.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...